Tag archives for kerala tourism
Vembanad Lake, situated in Kumarakom, is one of the most recommended places to visit in Kerala for nature-lovers. It is a scenic lake and is the longest lake in the country. It also enjoys the tag of being Kerala’s largest lake. Its geography aside, it is also a stunning piece of natural treasures and is swarmed by flora and fauna of a fascinating variety. Tourists and holiday lovers make it a point to visit this lake and spend some quiet hours on its shores. Thanks to the development of tourism in this part of the state, there are modern sporting and recreation facilities which have mushroomed on this site.
Some of the popular activities which you can enjoy at Vembanad Lake are enlisted below:
- Boating: It would be a grave sin if you do not explore these shimmering and rippling waters on a houseboat. Boating is the favorite and must-do pastime of every visitor. The length and breadth of this huge lake surely needs to be observed from close quarters. And it would be a real delight to find yourself in the midst of its gorgeous emerald waters.
- Fishing: Fishing and angling are also becoming very popular on the shores of this lake. As stated earlier, these waters are swirling with life. Different species and schools of fishes roam the underbelly of the lake. Fishing can be exciting and is often a fun thing for children.
- Watching the Snake Boat Race: If you happen to visit this lake during the Onam season, then you can view the Snake Boat Race. It is an annual event which is held every year during the Onam festival. It is a beautiful sight to ogle at the serpentine boats racing past each other at top speed on these frothy waters.
- Bird-watching: Vembanad Lake is one of the best places to visit in Kerala for bird watching. There are trees and plantations which are spread on the shores of the lake. They have very healthy number of birds and many of them are migratory in nature as well. No matter, at what time of the year you visit this place, you will always be greeted by the mellifluous sounds and the soothing images of these singing birds.
- Photography: If photography is what keeps you going, then you should not miss out on this lake. Its endless stretch of water and a heart-rending ambience make it a lovely subject for photography. So, just train your lens and take some of the best snapshots of nature.
Vembanad Lake lies in Kumarakom and can be reached by air, rail and road. The Kochi International Airport is the nearest airport. From there, you can take a cab or car to come over to this site. The nearest railway station is Kottayam which is not very far away. One can also travel by road as there are multiple routes leading to this lake from different parts of the state.
Overall, a trip to Vembanad Lake would be memorable and enchanting.