Tag archives for UNESCO
Some are hesitant to go to Vegas because they hate gambling, nor they are interested in drinking. They just do not find the Vegas strip appealing.
But not everyone that goes to Vegas, and loved it there, are fond of casinos. They, however, made it a point to explore past the hotels and resorts. I can’t say they went off the beaten path but there are just several things that you can do outside of Vegas.
Yes, it’s easy to get stuck around pools and the gaming area, not noticing the time passed by. And next thing you know, you need to take your flight out of Vegas.
If you’re looking to go to Vegas this year or anytime soon, make it a vow to see more that the place offers more than the glitz and glamour it is always associated with.
Do try checking these places out and you might just appreciate Vegas but not as a gambling mecca it is famous for.
The Grand Canyon
Declared as a UNESCO heritage Site on October 24, 1979, and a treasure for geologists, the Grand Canyon is among the sites near Vegas that is worth visiting. The rocks are a billion years old and is continuously transforming.
There are several companies offering day trips to this place. You can also rent a car and drive by yourself which is around five to six hours.
The commute no doubt consumes a lot of time. Chances are you will not be able to stay that long at the Grand Canyon. But if you aren’t sure when you can get the chance to see this again, then the site is going to be worth an addition in your Vegas itinerary.
Found on the Black Canyon on the Colorado River bordering Nevada and Arizona states, Hoover Dam is around an hour travel time from Las Vegas.
If you are a history buff then you will love touring this place. Aside from the scenery, day tours also include a trip to the historical collection of the hoover dam – news clippings, museum items, historic and modern photographs, information about the construction and operations of the dam.
There are also plenty of opportunities to take pictures around, although those who are afraid of heights might need to stay a little far back.
Red Canyon Rock
If you are the type who loves outdoors then you should not miss this spot in Nevada. It’s a favorite hiking and rock climbing destination.
Managed by the Bureau of Land Management and is protected as Nevada’s first National Conservation Area, the Red Canyon Rock is one of the state’s gems.
Rock formations here that date back 600 million years ago. You can arrange for a day tour, drive the loop, or rent a bike, in case you’re an experienced mountain biker.
The whole canyon is ringed by a road and you can find a parking lot where you can drop your things leave your car as you begin your hike.
Note as well that summer temperatures can however get so hot so it’s best that you go there either early or late in the day.
This place is ideal to visit all year-round. With the wide array of activities that people can try while they are here, no doubt, Lake mead is a recommended stop in Vegas.
This is the Lake that Hoover Dam built, and is where three desert ecosystems meet – Sonoran, Mojave and Great Basin.
It is no longer surprising that this place attracts hikers, swimmers, wildlife photographers, fishermen and yes, even sunbathers.
If these suggestions still do not interest you, then I no longer know what does. So when you get there to Vegas, do not focus on the Strip alone. Wander and do more.
N. Gray is grateful for her friends who introduced her to other attractions in Vegas aside from hotels and casinos. Otherwise, she probably would have only checked how online roulett and other games work in land-based casinos.
If you are looking for a vacation by the seashore, the destination meant for you is Gran Canaria. With its beautiful beaches and amazing coastal line, it is the perfect holiday destination for those who love the sea. It enjoys a shield by UNESCO over 1/3rd of its span. It is often referred to as the microform of a continent, thanks to the varying weather across it. Following is the list of the five places you must visit if you are on Gran Canaria:
1. Those who love the seashore would love to feast their eyes in Puerto Mogan, the place known for fishing. It is famous for its inland waterway net which would remind one of Venice. The place is ideal for holidaying with its atmosphere full of music from different places, various food options and a charm of its own. It even has a great market for shopping in your time out. You would find all activities around the seashore that you could ask for.
2. Sandbank that would remind you of the desert – that is the specialty of Maspalomas. The sandbanks stretch over four thousand square kilometers. You could enjoy a camel ride across the sandbanks to your pleasure. It has a lighthouse, which is of historical importance to the place and a sight for soar eyes.
3. Across the eastern zone of Gran Canaria, the National Park of Guayedeque presents an amazing view to welcome the tourists. Spread across the mountains, it has an amazing array of trees and caves to explore. The fascinating part is that these caves have been converted into residential places and religious centers. The entire experience on this place is breathtaking.
4. The center of Animal Encounters provides a unique experience for the tourists. You can first be taught about the species of the sea lions. Afterwards, you are allowed to swim alongside them in the water. You could watch them in their own world busy in their own act. They would play certain stunts with you that would also include sea lions leaping over your entire height. You could opt to assist the trainer in the stunts with the sea lions and share an experience otherwise unheard of. If you prefer the land to the water, you could opt for horse riding for amusement. Alternately, you could even choose the option of a fabulous camel ride and observe other species at the center. Food options would include a barbeque grill among many other tasty options.
5. There are guided tours that occur at the city of Las Palmas. It is an epitome of culture; you could surely look forward to crafts and pieces of art like paintings and old craftwork at the museum. The constructional artistry around is sure to mesmerize all without fail. Learn about the other attractions at this spot for a complete historical experience that you will never forget.
You should never miss out on these top five destinations if you are on Gran Canaria. During my visit, I made sure to visit them all. Though in this article I just gave a brief description of each place, in the upcoming articles, I will write about each place in details.
Author Bio: This article is written by Paul Winchester. He is a writer and a travelr. He is curently living in Denmark, but he has been traveling all over the world the past 8 years. One of his favorite places is Krabi in Thailand.